There are three primary types of wineries:
an integrated winery, a merchant winery, and a hybrid winery.
These types can vary in size and organization structure, and each has its own advantages.
A merchant winery buys all grapes. A hybrid winery owns a vineyard, however buys a variety of grapes to blend or make their labeled-wines per their likings.
Winery valuation as a going-concern business must consider the following pertinent questions:
1. Are the books maintained on a cash or accrual basis?
2. What inventory costing methodology is being used? (Fifo or Lifo)
3. Where does the winery source its grapes?
4. Are winery and vineyards leased from a related party?
5. What are future capital requirements?
6. Is the winery’s forecast reliable?